To celebrate World Apple Day, the people we support at Alexandra Hub enjoyed an exciting outing to the Valley Gardens in Swinton. The day was filled with smiles and apple adventures.
First, they walked through the lovely gardens, where they handpicked a variety of fresh apples from the trees, whilst learning about the different types. This was followed by the fun part, where they taste tested the apples to decide their favourite.
“Harry enjoyed using the apple picker tool, where he plucked the biggest, juiciest apples from the trees. He was the apple-picking pro. He thoroughly enjoyed being out in the fresh air.” – said Aspire Support Worker
After spending time outdoors, the people we support gathered in the valley community hall and enjoyed a warm coffee. Ready to turn their chosen apples into juice, they washed and sliced the apples and fed them into a juicer to create their very own apple juice. And WOW, what a success, they all loved the taste of their homemade juice.
From apple picking to cleaning and juicing, they were all part of the process. Thank you to Robyn, our Green Spaces Co-ordinator, Salford Health Improvement Team and the Valley Gardens, who made this day possible, it was an awesome experience for the people we support.
If you wanted to know how to make a tasty homemade apple juice, we have got you covered. Here is a short simple recipe which we know you will love.
- Begin by washing your apples thoroughly to remove any dirt.
- Cut your apple in small chunks.
- Peel and slice your lemon.
- Feed the apples and lemon into your juicer and let it works its magic!
- Pour the juice into a glass and even add ice if you would your juice extra cold.
Top tip: The lemon enhances the flavour, and helps keep your juice tasting fresh for longer, especially if you are storing it in the fridge.
Have you heard the saying ‘An Apple A Day Keeps the Doctor Away’… well this saying is true! Drinking fresh, homemade apple juice has many health benefits.
- Apple juice is full of vitamins. A glass of apple juice provides vitamin C, helping to strengthen your immune system.
- Apple juice is high in potassium, which is important for a healthy heart.
- Apple juice is the perfect choice of drink to keep you hydrated.
- Apple juice can help lower cholesterol levels.
We hope you enjoy your perfect glass of freshly made apple juice. Cheers!